This is a watercolor I recently completed using negative painting. I started with a very loose wash, my only plan being the placement of flowers. I had a photo for reference, but only used it as a guide. I worked intuitively in building up the leaves and stems in several layers. In working this way, I find that I am doing more looking and thinking than actual painting! I always try to leave some of the freshness and blending of colors in my initial wash come through in the final piece.
My Etsy shop is open for business and stocked with some of the watercolor demos I start in my classes, mostly small pieces and very affordable. This is a watercolor called “Tucked Away”.
I have been doing several demos lately using the wet-into-wet technique. I start by applying water liberally to the paper, front and back. The first layer soaks into the paper quickly and requires a second layer of water. Adding water to the back helps the paper adhere to the board during the painting process. I start with the pale washes, then add heavier washes as the paper starts to dry. When the paper is still damp, I add foreground texture with a dry brush technique. Nearly the entire painting was done this way except for the tree and branches in the foreground. These were added after the paper was completely dry. Only 3 colors were used — Raw Sienna, Alizarin crimson and Cerulean Blue. The combination of colors and technique help create the soft, muted palette of winter.
For a recent class demo, I decided to revisit one of my favorite photos, this one going back to 2005, after Bucks County had been hit by a blizzard. It was a windy day, and the snow was blowing around the sheep barn at Washington Crossing Park. This watercolor was begun in class, and finished in the studio. I’m not necessarily looking for a blizzard right now, but it sure does provide some great inspiration for paintings!
This class demo was done to illustrate the variety of reds in our paintbox and how to use them. Warm & cool, light & dark, pure and neutral colors were all used as we painted peppers, red potatoes, pomegranates and red onions. Red Pepper was sold to an admiring student!